Monday, July 5, 2010

Senior Dog Grooming

Senior dogs have a tendency to become a bit more picky on how you go about their grooming needs. Their patience with you can become limited, and with age comes pain, so even some things you did in the past, they can no longer deal with physically. Here are a few tips that will help make grooming your senior dog a little bit easier for both you and your senior canine friend.

If your senior dog natural coat of hair is medium to long, keep it trimmed short to reduce the need for regular brushing. If you do not like a shorter cut on your dog, brush it daily to prevent tangles that can be discomforting. However, if your dogs hair naturally drags on the ground, do trim it so it doesn’t drag.

Groom in parts. One day focus on nails, next brushing and clipping hair where needed, next day work on rear grooming, etc. This takes the stress of a full grooming session off your senior dog that can be very draining on them.

If you previously took your dog top a groomer, switch to using a mobile groomer so your senior dog doesn’t have to deal with long waits at the groomers. If there are no mobile dog grooming units in your area, always schedule your dog’s grooming for the last appointment of the day.

When water baths become discomforting to your senior dog, consider using foam or waterless bath formulas instead.


The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. Cute picture! I figured out the shorter hair all by myself. I was so happy when it worked. The rest of the ideas are great and I'm going to try them all! Thanks for being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny, although I had a friend who used to do just that to her dog. Instead of cutting the hair that hung in her face, she curled it. The dog was pretty tolerant of the process too. My dog is still pretty young but I'm going to print off these suggestions and keep them with his papers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to put curlers on my dog when I was young. They were spoolies and really easy to use. Am I dating myself here? Oh well, that dog was so tolerant of me. I even put makeup on her a few times, although my Mom stopped me from doing that. She aged with me and I learned to be more tolerant with her. I took care of her until the day she died and it's an experience I wouldn't change for anything. As she grew older her care took longer, just like you said.

    ReplyDelete