Thursday, July 8, 2010

Do you have a St. Bernard?

The St. Bernard gets its name from the 81,000 foot Great Saint Bernard Pass where travelers have crossed the Swiss Alps into Italy for many centuries. The Saint Bernard dog originated in Switzerland where its original use was a guard dog, companion, and snow rescue dog.

The St. Bernard’s general personality is that of a gentle, dignified, steady, intelligent and protective dog. It makes for a great family pet and is very good with kids and other animals. The average life span of the St. Bernard is 7 to 10 years, not near long enough for such a wonderful dog. They average ion height from 27 ½ inch minimum at the shoulders for males and 25 ½ inch minimum at shoulders for females. Male St. Bernard’s weight range from 140 to 180 pounds and females 120 to 140 pounds.

The St. Bernard comes in all shades of red and deep brown to brownish yellow coats, including brindle with white, plus markings and ideally a dark mask. Its coat is dense and smooth with short to medium-long straight or slightly wavy.

The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

5 comments:

  1. It's a good thing I got my St. Bernard before Beethoven hit the screen! I don't know if I lucked out or if the movie was exaggerated behavior. Maybe a little of both. Bronson has grown up with our kids and is very protective of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a powerful lot of dog. I live in a duplex with a small yard. I'd love to get one but I don't feel it would be fair to the dog to confine him both inside and outside. I wish I could move to a house with a huge yard so I could get a St. Bernard, but I don't see that happening in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure wish I had the room for a St. Bernard. There was one at a park in St. Louis, Missouri and I fell in love with it. It was so gentle and affectionate. I can't imagine they would make good indoor dogs and I have no yard to speak of. Someday, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have a St. Bernard and Benny is the best pet we've ever had. He watches over the children and herds them back when they wander too far from the house. They are never allowed near the pool unless we are at the pool with them. His food and vet bills are pretty high, but we think he's worth every penny of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted one of these dogs! I love big teddy bear-like animals. Hopefully I will get one when we buy our house and get out of the apt.

    ReplyDelete