Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How to Stay Calm Training your Dog

It is easy to lose your cool when training your dog. They don’t always learn as fast as you would like them to. Part of it can be due to how you are training them and part of it can be due to their breed. Some dogs just train faster than others, where other require more patience.

Anxiety is contagious emotion, but fortunately so is calmness. Dogs and puppies gather information from their owner’s body language that can either calm them or increase their anxiety. If you are worried when your pup is anxious, that is likely to increase their reaction and can leas to fearful or aggressive behavior.

Our bodies tighten up when we feel anxious. We clench out teeth and fist. We speak louder and faster and our breathing becomes quick and shallow. Here are some techniques to help you remain calm while training your dog or pup, or at least give the impression of calmness that your dog will mimic.
• Stay conscious of your breathing and keep it slow.
• Loosen up your arms and shoulders. Shift the weight slightly and even slouch a little. This will give the impression of being relaxed and not worried or uptight about the training.
• Keep your speech slow and in a lower pitch. This will reassure your dog that things are OK.
• Yawn occasionally. A yawn will help you relax and will give your dog the impression that you are calm.
Remembering these tips for remaining calm when your dog is anxious can help both of you maintain composure during training.

The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I learned early on that losing my cool while working with my pup didn't solve anything. I tried working with him after I put in a full day at the office. Wrong choice! Now, I spend 20 to 30 minutes with him before work. I find we're making more progress now and enjoying it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Zak, that's my problem in a nutshell. To make matters worse, I hate mornings. I've come to the conclusion that someone else is going to have to train my dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a hyper person and as such, I know I would not be a good person to train a dog. My husband, on the other hand, is totally laid back and the dogs respond well to his voice. He's the trainer in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So this is the secret. No wonder my dog won't listen to me.

    ReplyDelete