Tuesday, July 20, 2010

How often do you clean your dog bedding?

Spring and Summer brings puddles, mud, and dirty paws. Dirty muddy paws makes for dirty dog bedding. Not to mention the excessive shedding that many dogs do. Dirty dog bedding makes for dirty dog hair and eventually smelly dogs. No matter if you are giving your dog regular baths, a dirty bed makes for a smelly dog.

You can stop some of the dirt from making its way to your dog's bedding by rubbing your dog down with a towel after walks including its paws. Regular brushing helps with keeping the shedded hair loss down in its bedding as well. But nothing is going to prevent you from having to make sure you do regular washing of your dogs bedding, soft toys, and pillows.

Optimally, you should run a load of washable dog bedding and accessories once a week, much like you do your own laundry. Start by shaking all blankets and bedding outside to remove as much of the loose hair as you can, then wash with hot water and a dye and fragrance free detergent. To eliminate doggie odor, add a half a cup of baking soda to the water. Hang your dog blankets outside to dry if possible to give your dog a fresh outdoorsy smell on their bedding. If you have to throw your dog’s bedding in the dryer, make sure to avoid using fragrance dryer sheets because the scent may irate your dog’s skin.

The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I'm not even going to tell you when the last time I washed the dogs bedding was. I will tell you that I'm going to start doing weekly. I really love my dog but this just didn't cross my mind. I have replaced it before when it got to looking bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this at least once a week, sometimes more often if I feel it is necessary. I do the same for myself and I think the dog deserves that much too. My brother thinks I'm nuts for doing that. I'll be sending this messasge to him post haste!

    ReplyDelete