Thursday, June 24, 2010

Teaching your Dog to Sit

Teaching a dog to sit is as easy as just a few steps. Follow these steps and you will have your dog sitting on command in no time at all!

Get your dog’s attention with a tasty treat you know he/she loves!

Lure your dog into a sitting position by lifting the treat above his/her nose and toward the back of its head. The higher her/his nose goes the more its rear will lower. When it touches the ground, solidify that moment in your dog’s mind by using a clicker or saying “yes” and then reward with the treat.

If your dog rises on its hind legs instead of sitting, try again keeping the treat lower and moving slower.

After several lured “sits”, start again without a treat. Most dogs will follow the hand motion and sit. If he/she doesn’t, go back to luring with a treat again a few more times. Add cue the cue word “sit” just before you make the hand motion and your dog will learn that both the word and the hand motion are its cue to sit.


The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. That's too cute! The dogs that I've seen sit are more in a squat position. That's how I taught my dog to sit. I'm going to have to try your method and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on that one, Brent. My dog sits in a squat position. I tried to get him in this position and he nipped me. Guess I'll pass on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, but that just don't look natural. I'm not convinced that this isn't a trick photograph. Maybe not. I saw a dog laying on a porch with his head on his front paws and his back legs were standing on the second step down from the porch. I guess it takes all kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks painful! Will try to see if my dog will do this...I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete