Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Bye Bye Fleas


Fleas can hop onto your dog anytime of the year, but spring and summer time, fleas are on double duty! Traditional remedies include anti-flea powder, shampoos, sprays, and spot-on treatments. However, there are some natural preventives and deterrents you can also use.

Cedar oil repels bugs thus the reason many dog beds are filled with cedar chips. Lavender, Citronella, and Rose oils are said to repel fleas as well. A few drops of the oil can be put on your dog’s collar, but be cautious about putting them directly on your dog. If you do, mix the oil wit water first and spray it on your dog. Do not leave on for more than an hour and shampoo thoroughly at that time.

For the yard, try a beneficial nematode that eats flea eggs. The nematode is a small worm that tracks down flea eggs that lay amongst moist grass blades. You can also spread your yard with a thin layer of Diatomaceous dirt (made from fossils of water plants). This compound is harsh on fleas, leading them to dehydration to death. You can get both the nematode and the Diatomaceous dirt from a garden center.

The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I'm on my way to look for nemotodes at our garden center. I had no idea there was anything like this. I hope it works as well as you said. I have 2 outside dogs and even though I keep the yard clean, I can't seem to keep the fleas at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We volunteered to watch a neighbors dog while they went on vacation. Much to my chagrine, the dog had fleas and we ended up with an infected house. Our dog, of course, got them too. It was a real mess and when the neighbors got home I gave them the bill for the cleanup. We're not such good neighbors any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of weeks ago I saw someone drop a dog off near our farm. That kind of thing really upsets me and I wish I had had my binoculars at hand so I could have identified the vehicle. It was a dark colored van but that all I could see. The dog eventually made its way up the drive and I could tell that he was totally infested with fleas. Probably why they dumped him. I took him to the local vet and they got him all cleaned up. I reckon I'll keep him now that he's all cleaned up and nobody wants him. I could use a dog around here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fleas are such ugly, dirty, biting little carnivors that need to be done away with. My poor litte Tish cries if she happens to get bit by one. I'm always watching out for those critters and generally keep them under control.

    ReplyDelete