Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dog Loving Parasites ~ Hookworm

Hookworm (Ancylostoma caninum) is a zoonotic parasite meaning they are transmittable to humans. According to the Companion Animal Parasite Counsel, the hookworm gets its name because of the anterior ends of both the male and female hookworm are bent giving them a fishing hook appearance.

Hookworm is a parasite worm that lives in the digestive system of a dog latching onto and sucking blood from the intestinal wall . Most of the human hookworms species in the U.S. remain in the skin causing inflammation.

The hookworm is transferred through larvae. Larvae, which live in the soil, penetrate the skin of animals or humans who walk across a hookworm contaminated area. Dogs also pick up hookworm by eating infected mammals or puppies from their mother through nursing.

The symptoms of hookworm include chronic weight loss and diarrhea in adult dogs and sometimes fatal blood loss especially in puppies. Other symptoms that may present are weakness, lethargy, pale gums, and tarry stools.

Hookworm is diagnosed through fecal exams. Hookworm can be prevented through regular de-worming of puppies, annual or twice yearly fecal exams, promptly cleaning up feces in the yard, and mostly monthly heart worm prevention also protects against hookworm.


The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

10 comments:

  1. Ewww, how disgusting is that. I always thought I wanted to be a vet when I grew up, but now I wonder how I ever could have thought that!? I love my dog and I take him to the vet every 6 months. I've never had to deal with these little critters and I hope I never do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of hook worms before but never had the displeasure of seeing one. I'm pretty careful with my dog. I take him to the vets at least twice a year. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wondered why they dewormed puppies and why it was necessary at such an early age. I didn't know that it could be passed from the mother through nursing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought hook worms came from pigs and pork that wasn't fully cooked. Did I dream that up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so disgusting!!! I have small children and I am glad we follow what our vet tells us to do and go to all of our vet appts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Sick! I'll make sure my dogs never get this! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! These are nasty. I'm going to make sure my puppy and dog keep up with their vet appointments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. O
    M
    G
    !
    !
    !

    Awful. Washing my hands now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so disgusting! I'm going to make sure my puppy does not have these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too gross for words!

    ReplyDelete