Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Dog’s Physical Maintenance

When you think of maintaining your physic you probably think about hitting a gym, running, or doing some sit ups. Daily showers, doing your hair and maybe even throwing some smelly on is also part of personal maintenance. When thinking about your dogs overall physical maintenance it really isn’t that much different. They too require exercise and upkeep. By keeping your dog healthy can prevent unnecessary visits to the vet.

You should establish a regular exercise routine that you do with your dog. By being a dog owner, one of the benefits is getting the extra exercise that is good for anyone’s health! Even if your exercise routine is just a walk around a few blocks with your dog, you are doing far more for your dog then just providing essential exercise. You are giving your dog a sense of belonging and making it happy by spending quality time with him or her.

Depending on your dog’s breed will determine just how much active exercise it requires. Some dogs require a high level of exercise so check with your vet to ensure you are providing your dog with adequate exercise.

Just as you have your daily grooming routine, make sure to incorporate one with your dog as well. It doesn’t need to be daily unless of course you have a high shedding dog, then brushing your dogs coat may be required daily. However, every dog requires basic grooming such as brushing, bathing, and nail trimming. Some even require haircuts. If you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself, don’t just forgo it, take your doge to a reputable groomer for its personal grooming needs.

Just as everyone should get an annual check up with his or her physician, you should take your dog to the vet at least bi yearly for a wellness check up.


The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

6 comments:

  1. When we first got our dog, everyone wanted to take him for walks. That lasted for about a month. Now, when the dog wants to walk, he brings me the leash and out we go. I don't mind because it is good exercise for both of us. I complain occasionally because I don't want the kids to know how much I like it because they may decide they need to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to say who enjoys the walks more, me or Alf. He may be a bit more enthusiastic to get going but we both have a great time several times a day. We always take a different route so neither of us gets bored with the view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an inside dog and it took me a while to realize that she was the type of dog that needed a daily brushing to hold the shedding to a minimum. It's a morning ritual now, we take a walk and then sit on the porch while I brush her coat. It's hard to say which one of us enjoys the time more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard friends of mine complain about having to give their dogs a bath. I guess I'm just lucky because I have to lock my dog out of the bathroom to keep him out of the tub. I think it's all of the extra attention he gets when he's in there that keeps him coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started walking my neighbors dog when she got too sick to do it. Somewhere along the way I really got close to him. When my neighbor moved to a nursing home she asked me if I would keep him. I was only to glad to take on that responsibility. He doesn't require much and he gives me a lot in return. Our daily outings have already walked 10 pounds off of me. I think the dog is in better shape too. It's a win/win here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You take care of yourself on a daily basis and I doubt you ever think about the time it takes. It should work like that with your dog too. If you take care of his physical needs on a regular basis it will become part of your routine and his too.

    ReplyDelete