Thursday, May 20, 2010

When Your Dog Bites



According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 1,000 people go to the emergency room a day due to dog bites. Every breed of dog may bite under the right situation and if your dog does, you should be aware of your legal responsibilities.

Many states including Illinois, California, and Florida have strict liability laws to where you are held legally liable for injuries caused by your dog regardless of a spotless history of aggression. Texas, Vermont, New Mexico, and Alaska hold you responsible for injuries caused by your dog’s first bite only if you had prior knowledge of your dog’s aggressive tendencies towards people or if the injury occurred due to negligent conduct by you or an ordinance violation such as ignoring a leash law.

If your dog should bite someone, be kind to the injured party and if a claim is made, check with your insurance company to see what coverage you have for such situation.


The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

4 comments:

  1. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that my dog would never bite anyone. Good thing that I didn't because he bit the meter reader. I was appalled until one of my neighbors told me that the meter reader kicked the dog for no apparent reason. It was laying on the sidewalk and the only thing it did was lift it's head when the guy came through the gate. I filed a complaint the same day. Ruling was in my favor, the guy was fired and he had to pay his own medical bills. Sometimes, there is a good reason why a dog bites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dog is feisty and I know it. He doesn't like strangers and that's OK with me. If we are having people over, I put him in a closed room away from everyone. He doesn't go outside unless I'm with him. He isn't allowed to just run around the yard, on a leash or not. At night, I feel safer knowing that he is patroling the house and he isn't going to lick the hand of an intruder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been around dogs all of my life and I've never known a dog to bite for no reason. I live in the country now and I'm not so concerned about my dogs. Not that I think they'll bite anyone, but there just aren't that many people who come around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dog has never bitten anyone, but I have been bit by someone else's dog. I was walking on a sidewalk and the dog came through the bushes and bit the back of my leg. No bark or growl. The first indication I had of the dog's presence was the bite on the back of my leg. The owner said he had never bitten anyone before. He was quaranteened for 10 days and I got a tetanus shot. Maybe he thought I was someone else.

    ReplyDelete