Thursday, May 6, 2010

Dog Aggression ~ Is it really all about the Breed?



Many dogs, due to their breed, get a bad rep of being aggressive. Even home insurance companies will demand that a person carry extra insurance if the homeowner has one of these breeds such as chows, pit bulls, Dobermans, and the list goes on. Some will not even insure a homeowner with such breeds. Some apartment/rental places will not allow a tenant to rent if they have one of the black listed breeds. It is dog discrimination at its worst. There is not a dog out there that doesn’t have the potential to become aggressive. Personally, I have met some of the gentlest pit bulls and chows amongst other blacklisted dogs while at the same time I have met some pretty darn mean little yipper snapping ankle biters!

Dog aggression boils down to the dog owner and the behavior development of the dog, not the breed. If you miss-treat your dog it will become aggressive, and if you use ineffective training methods this may also lead to aggression. The same goes with anything, if you abuse a dog there is a high probability it will become aggressive. Same way with people; so should homeowner insurers refuse to insure people who have had a history of abuse. Maybe so, but they don’t.

Bad dog owners is what has brought this discrimination about and it is sad because these same dogs, due to their bad rep sit in animal pounds due to their rap alone. What are your thoughts on this subject and how if at all, do you think this can be turned around.


The main purpose of Doggie-Corral.com is to provide dog owners with an entire line of dog supplies needed to care for their beloved pets. We ship to the entire United States and provide a one stop shopping experience. We offer dog-training aids, dog insurance, health care essentials, dog apparel (e.g. dog shirts, Dog Pro sports apparel, dog boots, dog coats, dog College Sports apparel, dog blankets, dog sweaters, dog pajamas),dog beds, plastic and wood doghouses, dog crates and kennels, dog toys, dog chews, dog treats, dog and puppy foods, dog grooming products and more. Feel free to check us out at Doggie-Corral.com.

We would also love to have you connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
Doggie-Corral on Facebook
Doggie-Corral on Twitter

3 comments:

  1. I agree, but at the same time I will tell you that I would never own a chow, pit bull or doberman. I shy away from them at the doggie park too. My niece was bitten by a pit bull when she was just a toddler. She picked up a bone thinking it was a toy and he went right after her. He had just eaten and was laying across the room. In his defense, I don't know how he was treated as a pup. I don't care much for the yippy ankle biters either. My dog is very gentle with little children. If annoyed, he just moves away from them with out a sound. I know that's no guarantee it will never happen, but I've never felt, heard or saw any warning signs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the potential for aggression is latent in all dogs. I think though, that it has more to do with the way the dog is raised. If they have a lot of human interaction and get the love and care they need, I don't think aggression will be a problem. If they are left to their own devices outside, I think you'll see more of it. Abuse them, and you'll see a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can understand why some people say it is all about the breed. At the same time I can understand why some people say it's not. I think every dog certainly has the potential for violent aggression but I think the bottom line is decided by the care they are given. Nature vs nurture is a stand and not everyone will agree, ever.

    ReplyDelete